Pendulous threads

Monday, March 31, 2008

Natural Anthem

I take a breath,

And pull the air in until there's nothing left.

I'm feeling green, almost happy

Like teenage lovers between their sheets.

Knuckles clenched to white as

the landing gear retract for flight.

My head's a balloon inflating with the altitude.

Blowing smoke rings into the insipid atmosphere.

I watch the patchwork farms' slow fade

Into the ocean's arms

And from here they can't see me stare.

As I experience the stale taste of recycled air.

Calm down now, I say,

Release them cares.

Into the stale taste of recycled air,

So that I may live with my sins,

In perfect harmonious neglect.

The sea breeze enacts a chaffing effect

On the looking glass as

The light bends at the cracks,

Creating silhouettes on peeling walls.

Bold static harks loud from across the mantlepiece

Where I rest my radio.

It lures me into the mesmerising nothingness

Incarcerated by 5 brick walls and a wooden floor.

This place is not a prison.

These vestiges are not my friends.

Inhaling thrills trough rolled up bills,

Emptying crystal tumblers only to be filled again.

And again.

There are liveried guards at the entrance.

They smile as I enter, but do not permit me to leave.

There is a tangible world outside this 6 sided box,

Different from the one the soot from the candles creates on the walls.

Sometimes it's too bright to see.

But the phenomenon does not cease any night.

I clear my eyes and stare at the candelabra,

Suture my mind shut,

Empty the crystal tumbler

And inhale the stale recycled air.

I have been travelling too long, too far, too wide. I need closure, I want closure... I wish.

No comments: